Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cheese Tortellini Salad


Sorry, no TWD today. Between catering my cousin's wedding, cooking for a group of up to 45 at Girl's Camp for a whole week and getting ready to leave on a family vacation tomorrow, I've been swamped! So, here's another colorful summer salad that you must put on your "to make" list!

I made this salad for a bridal shower and also for camp last week, which is why the background of these pictures is in the neck of the woods! Even most of the teenage girls liked it though. It is more of a main course as long as you serve it with some good rolls.

Cheese Tortellini Salad

1 lb cheese tortellini, cooked al dente
1 lb bacon, cooked and chopped in small pieces
1 lb chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 15 oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 bag baby spinach

Mix all together in large serving bowl.

dressing:
3/4 C sugar
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1 T grated onion
1 T toasted sesame seeds

toast seeds until fragrant in fying pan over medium low heat. In small saucepan bring sugar and vinegar to boil. Remove from heat when sugar has dissolved and add remaining ingredients. Dressing can be made a day or two in advance and served already mixed in or separate. Bring to room temp and mix well before serving.


Be sure to check out the amazing dessert from TWD today though. Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy chose Raspberry Blanc-Manger and you would not believe how beautiful hers looks!

6 comments:

avesta said...

cheese tortellini and bacon? that sounds perfect! and the dressing with the toated sesame seeds....love it!

snbjork said...

Does that ever sound divine!!! I will definitely be giving this salad a whirl. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jacks said...

Becky! You're amazing. Gourmet girls camp. I hope they appreciated all of the work you put in. If not, then I'm giving you props now. Because I appreciate it.... even though I totally missed out.

I plan on making this chez moi, and pretending the forest is in the background.
Have a great vacation. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

I love cheese tortellini. Your salad sounds delicious.

Mandy Haws said...

Becky Just wanted to thank you for all your YUM food at Camp. I am going to make this for my fam at Island Park. You're Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Heide Mc.™ said...

This salad sounds so good. What a clever idea