Monday, September 8, 2008

Here it is...



I have definitely been baking the days away, but haven't gotten around to posting all of my fantastic creations for awhile now.

Here is one that is very near and dear to my heart though. I made this recipe for the first time not quite a year ago and continue to make it for almost every dinner party we have because it's always such a huge hit. Everyone is always asking for the recipe, and I hesitate a little to give it out because it's just that good. I feel like I want to be the only one who gets credit for it, I guess. People seriously make noises when they are eating it it's that good! But, the time has come to share it, so here is the ultimate best recipe you will ever find for sweet pork.


Becky's Sweet Pork

carnitas fried pork from Costco (see picture at bottom)
1-2 cans chicken broth
1 C packed brown sugar
1 T minced garlic
1/4 C minced onion (I actually use the dried stuff, but fresh works well too)
1 tsp cumin


cook pork as per directions on package
shred pork and put in large saucepan or crock pot.

Add all other ingredients and simmer for at least 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. As for the chicken broth, I use 1 C when making chimichungas, or 2 C when making salads because I like it with a little more juice then.

For the chimichungas: take an uncooked tortilla (also from Costco) and put about 1/2 C of the hot meat filling in it. Fold the two sides over and roll, keeping it closed with a toothpick to fry it...that's right...you deep fry it in about 1 inch of oil so it gets all crispy and crunchy! Yum! Turn it when the bottom is brown to cook both sides. Top with all the toppings you want: lettuce, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, salsa, olives, green onions, etc. I like to serve them with some homemade spanish rice (recipe another time) and black beans.

For the salad: (sorry, no picture), cook the tortilla as per directions on package, and layer the hot meat filling and everything else on top including your rice and beans and a lot more lettuce than with the chimichungas. It's just a little healthier with the same amazingly good taste though.

Here is the pork and tortillas you get from Costco. They are in the refrigerated cases that are open and counter height. I have been told by some friends and family that their Costco doesn't carry the pork, so good luck! If you don't find it, just slow cook some pork and shred it on your own.

9 comments:

Steph said...

Yes, it is soooo good. I have had this from your very kitchen. Delicious!

Maria said...

We love those tortillas! They are so good!! Looks like a tasty meal!

Prudy said...

I love pork with brown sugar and this looks just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

We don't have a costco so hopefully I can make it with a pork loin. Thanks for sharing!

vanillasugarblog said...

Easy yet totally delish! I love this (and I love the extra sour cream on top too--good thinking)

Natalie Que said...

Yeah, I'm missing those uncooked tortillas -actually Mexican food in general. But word on the street is that we are getting Costco next year!

This pork sounds SO, SO good. I can picture the flavors, I will definitely make this one too.

murdockspencer said...

Thanks for the recipe Becky! I made them this weekend for my mom's bday and everyone loved them. We are always looking for stuff to cook in our deep fryer :-) The pork was so good and could totally be used for all sorts of things. I doubled the recipe (I always make way too much) and have enough chimis for the week. Crazy!!! They are yummy!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you posted this!! I've been meaning to ask you for the recipe after I had it at your house. It was so delicious!

Aggie said...

That chimichanga looks unbelievable, I love carnitas, I will have to look for this next time I go to Costco! This will be a hit at my house!