Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tuesdays With Dorie: Sugar Cookies

I know, boring right? Sugar cookies? Come on now! I tried to make it as fun and different as I possible could in the extra 3 minutes I had today, but my brain and my body are giving up on me. My kids sure loved them though. I just have to say that I've never met a sugar cookie recipe I get along with.

No, these cookies aren't wet. I used the Wilton Color Flow mix, which I just love. You just add a little of the mix to powdered sugar and some water and this is what happens. Some day I will do a whole post just on this stuff because you can do so much fun stuff with it. Today I added peppermint extract and piled 3 different sized cookies on top of each other for something a little fun.



These are especially for my 5 year old daughter. She wanted more and more sprinkles so I rolled the dough into balls and rolled them in as many sprinkles as I could get to stick to the dough. Festive, don't you think?!


These ones were really fun. I rolled the dough into balls and rolled them in candy canes that have been through my food processor. They were perfectly pepperminty and cute too!
Dorie's sugar cookies were pretty good, but I think I'll stick to my Betty Crocker packaged mix the next time I do sugar cookies. She just never fails me with her sugar cookies! Thanks to Thanks to Ulrike at Kuchenlatein.

Don't forget to check out the blogroll and buy Dorie's book for her recipe.

14 comments:

Amanda said...

I love your different versions! The icied ones are just gorgeous :) I did something similar, decorated in several different ways, overall loved the recipe

vibi said...

Amazing! I love the triple deckers! Gotta try that Wilton mix... it gave a really nice shine to your icing! I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

I'll have to look for that color flow stuff...your cookies look amazing! Great to see how many different directions you can take this recipe.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

All of your cookies looked terrific. The first ones were very pretty and I loved the idea of the peppermint ones! Great job!
~ingrid

kimberly salem said...

they all look lovely! looking forward to the color flow post, it sounds really neat.

Steph said...

Oh my I just want to jump into my screen and gobble them up! Send some my way will ya?

Karen said...

Oh, the Wilton color flow mix looks like it'd be so much fun - can't wait for that post!

Reeni said...

I love your cookie variations! I can't pick a favorite they all look so delicious and pretty!

vanillasugarblog said...

I love these! That last one is perfect flavor.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on the Wilton Color Flow - your cookies look fantastic, I love the shine on the frosted ones and while I'm not a fan of peppermint myself, I think the crushed candy canes were an inspired idea and quite seasonal.

Anonymous said...

Oh, love some peppermint. These are so cute!

Snooky doodle said...

these look really nice. Seems you went crazy with decorations . Well done :)

Pamela said...

Honestly, some of the best cookies from TWD this week!

beckstarr said...

Hi there, I just had to finally comment. Your cookies are beautiful, and your cake (up above) turned out wonderfully! I'm a Wilton instructor, and have a small cake decorating business on the side, and just wanted to encourage you: I think you're a natural, meaning you could teach yourself if you really wanted to to do fondant cakes, etc. You already have so much experience with sweets as it is. That's not to say that you wouldn't enjoy taking the classes (they are truly fun classes). Just as something fun and quick to try, make cookies from a chocolate cake mix, the oil and water, but sans eggs. Using the Wilton 'cookie icing' which with a little orange extract added, drizzle it on top. You'll get the most delicious orange creamsicle and fudge cookies possible! Thanks for your blog!