Thursday, August 14, 2008

Butter Pecan Shortbread Minis with Caramel Icing


Yum! Can I just say that I was eating these so fast that I almost didn't have any left to take a picture?! I was really in the mood for some shortbread but have been thinking for days on what to do with it exactly. Today I didn't want to wait any longer and just started going with it. And yes, I was singing the shortbread song in my head as I was kneading the dough. ("mama loves shortnin' mama loves shortnin', mama loves bakin' shortnin' bread") I'm not even sure if those are the right words, but those were the ones running through my mind. Anyway, as soon as I could smell them cooking throughout my whole house, caramel popped into my head and I ran with it. My only complaint with this recipe is that it didn't make enough!

Butter Pecan Shortbread
1 1/2 C flour
3 T packed brown sugar
1/2 C butter, softened
1/4 C chopped pecans
1/4 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 325; spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray.

Mix flour and brown sugar with fork; cut in butter with pastry blender or fork. Add pecans and vanilla and knead until well mixed and smooth.

Divide dough between mini muffin tin and press down with finger tips. Cook for 20 minutes.


Caramel Icing
3 T butter
1/2 C packed brown sugar
dash of salt
1/2 C milk
1 1/2 C powdered sugar

Melt butter in medium saucepan on stove. Add brown sugar and dash of salt. Boil for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add milk. Return to boil for about 1 minute. Let cool to lukewarm and add powdered sugar. Add more milk as needed for the consistency you would like.

Holding the base of the cookie, dip the top it into the icing and roll a little to make sure the whole top is covered. Place on wire rack to cool completely.

(makes 24 mini cookies)


Someday, I really am going to start baking healthy. But, I had a really good workout this morning, so I'm justifying my baking as usual.


This is my daughter, Brooklyn. She is going to be 5 next month! She wanted to be in the kitchen with me so I kept her busy making a fruit loop necklace, which she was so proud of she wanted me to take her picture with it! Cute, huh!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Becky,

Your food blog is great! I can't believe Brooklyn is going to be 5; she's really photogenic and looks so cute! Glad to see all is well in Utah and I look forward to more of your recipes :)

Jill

Natalie Que said...

Hey SMST! Thanks for your nice comment on my blog! I really appreciate it!

I love your black and white, tres chic! I have thought of toning down the throw-up of color that is my blog, but alas, I am lazy!

I love shortbread, these look like winners!

So it looks like you are fairly new to food blogging, I don't have that many months on you, especially of taking it seriously, but please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you!

Steph said...

I just have to say that these were so delicious I could have eaten the whole batch! Even after our good workout, I couldn't stop eating them. Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

Sarah said...

um becky? you are never going to want to go out for dessert with me because you're making them every night at home. come on- we need to go! i need a night without kids and some treats. i could really use a dq blizzard right now.

i like your food blog. you are such a little baker!