Sunday, August 10, 2008

Tres Leches Cake



So it was our friend's birthday this past week and his request for a birthday cake was Tres Leches, or three milk cake. I had never tried to make Tres Leches let alone eaten it before, so it was a new challenge but lots of fun.

I did some research on the internet and found quite a few very different recipes. I pulled a little from each one that I liked and came up with my own very successful recipe. The cake was incredibly moist, but not soggy. It had a very rich flavor to it and I really liked the cinnamon I added too. It was a hit at the birthday party and that was the goal. If you ever need a recipe for Tres Leches, here is a good one!

Tres Leches Cake

1 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 C sugar plus 2 T sugar
1/3 C oil
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla plus 2 tsp vanilla
1 C plus 1/2 C milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 C plus 1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
1/8 tsp salt
cinnamon for sprinkling

combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl. In medium bowl, combine oil, sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla. Add eggs to sugar mixture one at a time, mixing well after adding each egg. Add 1/2 C milk and mix well. Add flour mixture and mix well.

pour batter into two 8 inch round cake pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until cooked completely and inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cake cook until room temperature and then turn them over onto a cookie sheet with raised edges. Prick all over cake with fork and cool completely in refrigerator.

Whisk 1 C milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and 1 C heavy cream together. Slowly pour over cooled cake. Refrigerate for one hour, occasionally spooning milk mixture over cake as it spills off.

In a separate bowl, mix 1 1/2 C heavy cream, 2 tsp vanilla, and 2 T sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Frsst top of one of the cakes and sprinkle with cinnamon. Put the other cake on top and frost top and sides. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.

(sorry I don't have a pictures of what the inside looked like...I thought that might be a little weird to bring it to the party already cut up, or to start taking pictures of it while I was there. I'll have to get over my phobia, I guess!)

5 comments:

Steph said...

Hey, where was my piece? It looks sooo good!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! Tres Leches is my favorite cake but I always get mine from a bakery. This looks easy and I especially like the whipped cream frosting. I'll have to try it soon! Thanks!

Barbara said...

My oldest son has been asking for one of these -- we'll give it a whirl!

Aggie said...

This cake looks delicious! I'd love to try it, I love Tres Leches!!

I think everyone is starting to get used to me whipping out my camera...haha.

Great blog! I found you from Stephanie's!

avesta said...

Yum...this sounds really good...and pretty easy. I will try this asap! thanks!