Saturday, January 17, 2009

My First Wedding!



I have been too busy to bake or post anything for the past week or so because I have been very busy getting ready for my first wedding! My friend got married last night and I was lucky enough to make the wedding cake all by myself! After lots of baking, filling, stacking, frosting, more stacking, and more frosting, along with some stressing, I ended up completely satisfied with my cake.


The cake was a 3-tired hexagon cake. It was chocolate cake and the bottom and top layers had a chocolate truffle filling. The middle layer had a white chocolate truffle filling with a layer of fresh raspberries. The bride wanted a chocolate buttercream frosting and ribbon around each tier. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, I will have to do a whole tutorial post on just the ribbon portion. It was a challenge but I finally got it!


I had a lot of fun doing this cake and learned SO much! I am excited to start taking some classes so I can learn some good tips and techniques and learn how to use fondant and other fun things. I am almost ready to do another one!


I also found out when I got there that I would kind of be in charge of the catering part. But that was a lot of fun too. We had 3 different chocolate fountains going with dark chocolate, white chocolate, and milk chocolate. To dip in we had platters of marshmallows, pretzels, sugar cookies, strawberries, apples, pineapple, and bananas. It was beautiful and delicious!


Thank goodness for these girlies who stepped in to help me! We all work together at a local Technical college, so we already are good at helping each other out. We all kind of decided we should quit working where we are and start our own catering business. How fun would that be?! I honestly couldn't have done it without them though! Thanks guys!

13 comments:

Amber said...

AMAZING cake!! Great job! I always thought that catering would be so fun! See you next week!!

Kellie said...

The cake looks great and the table/arrangement looked great too. Glad you had fun! Great help always makes things easier also!

Snooky doodle said...

you did a fine job for a first time. Did you assemble the cake on location or you carried it ready to the wedding location? I m always curious about this. What a chocolate overdose :)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

WOW, you did a great job! No way would I have attempted this!

Glad to know you've just been away becuase you've been busy.

MMMM, I keep thinking about the white chocolate truffle filling with raspberries. I want the recipe!!
~ingrid

avesta said...

Great job on the cake! Catering can be fun...but let me tell you...it is the hardest job! Very stressful and labor intensive! My husband always says I work way too hard and way too long hours!!!

laurel said...

Becky that cake is beautiful!!! I am so proud of you! I wish I could taste it - it sounds so yummy. Now I know who to come to if I need a cake made in Utah!

The Blonde Duck said...

I stopped in from Ingrid's blog to say hi! It looks like you did a fabulous job!

Maria said...

Oh how fun. Everything looks perfect!

Todd and Jenn said...

Your cake looks awesome! You would be so good running a catering business and it all started with our awesome job together:) You'll have to let me know if you find a cake decorating class. I've been wanting to do one forever. We should get together soon.

Anonymous said...

I think you and your friends would do well in starting a catering business, that is one beautiful cake! If you want more food/recipe ideas, I'd like to invite you to take some time to drop by at Foodista. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia where you can contribute and share what you know about food and cooking techniques(and maybe you can also share some of your fave recipes with us too)

We also have a small embeddable widget that will help you build more traffic to your blog from Foodista-related pages. This will explain how the widget works. Thanks

vanillasugarblog said...

Congrats! You did a fantastic job!

Sugar Duchess said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous cake. Love the effect with the white roses on the chocolate! I also recently made my first wedding cake, and I can totally understand both the stressing and the huge sense of accomplishment. Congratulations!

Mermaid Sews said...

Great cake. I just got asked to do a wedding and I am not sure about it - what a challenge.