Sunday, April 5, 2009

Molasses Crinkles and Snickerdoodles


When I asked my husband what kind of cookies he wanted for our Sunday afternoon treat, I didn't really want him to actually say he wanted...I wanted him to say what I wanted, of course! So, he said snickerdoodles and I wanted molasses crinkles just like my Grandpa Chris used to make them. I don't know why he couldn't read my mind and go with it, but he never caught those brain waves I was sending him so I made him his snickerdoodles...and then made my molasses crinkles. I have to say, they made a very nice duo too! Both had such great flavor and texture and when you make them small, like I always do, I was able to eat plenty of both!

I have to tell a little story about my Grandpa Chris. He's not my "real" grandpa, which is why I called him Grandpa Chris. My grandma married him after my real grandpa passed away. But, he is by far, one of the most amazing people I have ever met for so many reasons. He made each granddaughter a beautiful hope chest when we graduated high school. He was an amazing wood-worker and wood-carver. He also was a master cookie maker. My favorites were these little shortbread cookies called Grandma's Nutty Fingers that he would shape by hand all exactly the same. My first year at college he would send me boxes of his homemade cookies in the mail. I loved getting his packages. During that same year, he had some minor surgery done and the antibiotics the doctor put him on after caused him to go completely blind. He was such a trooper though. He was in his 80's and decided to go to a school for the blind so he could learn to get around in his new condition, but it was hard for him and he decided he would rather listen to books on tape than have to try and get around at all. He listened to over 600 books on tape over the next 5 years before he died. Mostly about history and religion. He was probably the smartest man I know. I feel so blessed to have known him.

Molasses Crinkles (my grandpa's recipe, not sure where it came from exactly)

3/4 C shortening
1 C dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 C molasses
2 1/4 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add egg and molasses.
Combine flour, salt, and spices. Add to sugar mixture and mix well. Chill dough for 30 minutes. Roll dough into balls and roll the tops of the balls in sugar. Place on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart and sprinkle with a couple of drops of water. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Watch closely to not over-bake.

Snickerdoodles (recipe from Better Homes and Gardens)

Don't think I can post the recipe because of publishing rights, but go here to get it!


So, for now, I would like to thank my husband for not reading my mind and doing something I wanted him to do without telling him what it was I wanted. These were some good cookies!

7 comments:

Elyse said...

Grandpa Chris sounds amazing! What a wonderful post. These cookies look amazing!

jess said...

Molasses crinkles are definitely one of my favorites...so I'll have to try your recipe sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Chris sounds wonderful. Both cookies look delicious.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Becky, Grandpa Chris sounded like an AMAZING man! How lucky you were to have him in your life. Thanks for sharing your story & cookies.
~ingrid

Snooky doodle said...

wonderful cookies! These look perfect! yummy

The Food Librarian said...

Love both of your grandpas! And these cookies look wonderful. What a great treat.

Ana said...

Ooh your snickerdoodles look delicious!! How do u get them so light in color??