Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesdays With Dorie: 4 Star Chocolate Bread Pudding

I missed last week's Tuesdays With Dorie and was going to pass on this weeks too until I saw it was bread pudding.

Dorie's 4 Star Chocolate Bread Pudding was chosen by Lauren, of Upper East Side Chronicle. You can get the recipe from her blog or from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours cookbook.

I couldn't just make the recipe as it says though. I always have to make my own version of it. So, this time, I halved the recipe so I wouldn't eat it all to start with. I used whole wheat bread! Probably a major "no-no" for bread pudding, but it was "healthier" and still amazing. I used dark chocolate instead of bittersweet and I added caramel bits (those aren't nuts) to the pudding right after it came out of the oven. After I took it out of the oven, I went and ran a few miles because I could feel myself expanding just looking at it. Let me just tell you, the one bite I had when I got back was worth every drop of sweat, every sharp pain from my shin splints, and every mosquito bite I got. As if I could only keep to one bite! Absolutely rich and delicious bread pudding!

Another great recipe from Dorie!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you liked it! I thought it was delicious too! Those caramel bits sound so yummy.

Megan said...

I thought those were peanuts on the top. But caramel is great too!

A very good recipe and worth making again.

Eliana said...

Hmmmmm - caramel bits. I usually would never try to make bread pudding healthier but this looks and sounds really good. I will have to try for myself.

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

This looks wonderful!!
Bravo!

Nice to meet you!

Jenifer
Fellow Food Blogger

Elyse said...

Mmm, I need to go run a few miles after looking at your pictures :) Your bread pudding looks totally fabulous. And those caramel bits look AWESOME. So glad you ended up making this one!

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I'm glad it was a success for you.

Pamela said...

I wasn't crazy about it, but I would try a bite of yours in a hearbeat!

Soy*Baby said...

I bet the caramel on this was delicious. Way to run before you eat. I'll have to start doing that. I'm thinking this TWD thing is going to make me gain weight.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I came across your blog and saw that you enjoy baking!

Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt which can be used in a variety of ways while baking- as a substitute for sour cream, and mayonnaise, and to create tasty low-fat dishes. Greek yogurt is strained, making it thicker and more versatile in recipes than regular yogurt. Oikos is organic, which means it's made without artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and it's made from organic milk produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, or artificial growth hormones (rBST).

I would love to send you coupons for Oikos so that you can give it a try. If you're interested, shoot me an email at Kdrociak@stonyfield.com and let me know where to send them.

Best,
Kristina
Stonyfield Farm

TeaLady said...

Yeah, I thot they were nuts. But adding those chips. Great idea. I think I will have to try it on some. Great job. It looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, caramel sounds terrific!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I knew what those were. I wasn't fooled as I have a bag of those in the pantry. Great idea!

You left of us hanging...how'd you get chin splints and mosquito bites?
~ingrid

Theresa Rohrer said...

Oh, they're caramel bits! For a minute, I seriously thought the were garbanzo beans! This looks super tasty.
T